These steps from DMO can help keep you and your family safe
(LA PLATA, MARYLAND) – – October 26, 2012 As Hurricane Sandy approaches, there are steps all propane customers should take before and after the hurricane.
“When big storms hit, we get a lot of questions from people asking what they should be doing,” said John Combs, President of DMO. “Here are some tips of what to do before and after the storm if you use propane.”
Before the Hurricane
1. Make sure you have enough propane in your tank to last a few days
2. If you are in a flood zone, make sure your large above-ground and underground propane tanks are securely anchored.
3. Create an emergency plan and review it with your family.
During and After the Hurricane
1. If the hurricane threatens your safety, shut off the gas. If you end up turning off your propane supply, contact your propane provider before turning it back on.
2. Listen to the TV and radio for any important evacuation instructions.
3. After the hurricane passes and the area is safe, check for downed power lines, damaged gas lines, or damage to your propane tank.
4. Do not use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas. Do not put a propane cylinder in an enclosed area.
“The most important thing is to stay alert about your surroundings and not take any chances,” said Combs. “If you have shut off your gas supply, if your tank is damaged, or if there is any other destruction that may be unsafe, call your propane company immediately. A qualified technician is the best person to assess the situation and make sure everything is safe.”
For a full list of propane safety tips for Hurricane Sandy, or to schedule a propane delivery, visit www.DMOenergy.com/sandy or call 800-296-5175.
DMO is an 86 year old energy company that is family owned and operated. Founded as Delmarva Oil, DMO has grown into the leading propane and heating oil supplier in Southern Maryland, Delaware, and the Eastern Shore. DMO proudly delivers propane, heating oil, and kerosene. DMO’s full service offerings also include installation of HVAC equipment and HVAC service. More information about DMO can be found at: DMOenergy.com.