The Rural Life Museum of Trappe will hold an Open House on July 12 from 11am to 3pm. The directors of the museum will give tours of ongoing renovations on the museum, including improvements to the main museum building and the relocated Carriage House and Scale House.
The museum is housed in the Defender House, which was originally built in 1815 and is registered in the Maryland Historical Trust under Talbot County, unit 489. The entire structure has been scraped, cleaned and painted. The 9’x16′ Scale House was originally built at the Old Cannery on Lovers Lane in Trappe before being moved to Landing Neck cannery, and then to North Dorchester, before becoming part of the museum grounds. A 10’x12′ Smoke House that currently belongs to members of the Slaughter family will soon be given to the museum and moved to a location near the Scale House.
Special invited guests will be on hand during the Open House and the new sign, painted by Dick Morton, will be unveiled. Food will be available for sale and live music will be provided by Ellery Adams and The Rescue Team. A raffle for a handmade afghan will be held. Tickets may be purchased at the Open House or by calling Julie Libby at 410.476.4822.
The Rural Life Museum of Trappe is located at 29241 Backtown Road. For more information about the Open House or the Friends of the Rural Museum of Trappe, contact Charles Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410.476.3339.