AVON Walk for Breast Cancer

shorebeatscancer2AVON Walk for Breast Cancer 

You have probably heard the radio advertisement about the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer in Washington, DC for 2 days, 39.2 miles.  This year’s walk is coming up on May 3rd and 4th.    And we have a local Eastern Shore team of walkers including Melanie Drake of Chester, Shelby Cunningham of Centreville , and Marie Hill of Easton.

Committing to walk the distance also includes fundraising.  Each participant must raise $1,800 which is used by the Avon Foundation for prevention programs that allow all individuals access to quality care as well as research to finding a cure.   With so many great organization fundraising for cancer, why support this one?  An average 80% of net funds raised by the Avon Walk in DC stays in the local area. Ten local organizations received research or assistance grants last year ranging from $60,000 to $750,000 each.   The remaining 20% helps ensure that care programs in all 50 states, as well as national research programs, have adequate funding to make the most progress possible in the fight against breast cancer.

Team Captain and local Avon Representative,  Melanie Drake, began supporting this event 4 years ago by attending a Cheer Station.  This is a fun, easy way to show you care!  Grab some noise makers, make a sign, maybe some bubbles, and several friends and drive over to DC.  There are locations throughout the walk route that you can park or you can take the metro.  Melanie found that the walkers were very happy for the support and though they would thank her for being there, she would turn it around and say, “No, thank you!  You are the one who is making a difference!”  She did find this to be rewarding but something was missing so last year she volunteered at the Wellness camp where the walkers end their first day.  She helped prepare tables for the evening meal and put up the little pink tents they would all sleep in.  It was so much fun, reminding her of the days when she was a Girl Scout Leader.  So, she decided to take it to the next level and signed up to walk!   The first person she sent a text message to was her friend,  Shelby Cunningham, who has previously walked in multi-day events.  Shelby agreed to join in and finally a few months later, Marie Hill – fellow Avon Representative and Cancer Surviver..  With much deliberation over the name, these ladies have become – Shore Beats Cancer!  They now have their own logo designed by a friend and are out in the community spreading awareness and collecting donations.  Coming up on April 5th, you will find them in the parking lot across from the McDonalds in Chester at the Craft Show Boutique Vendor Fair from 9am to 3pm.  April 10th at the Chili’s in Easton.  Melanie and Marie are also raffling off Avon baskets of product.

More information about the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer is available online at www.avonwalk.org.  Donations can be made to Shore Beats Cancer online or contact Melanie Drake for mailing instructions 410-310-3616 drake@atlanticbb.net.

These ladies are confirming Avon’s committment …WE ARE IN IT TO END IT!