Cause of Chestertown Fire

Investigators say it was a smoldering cigarette that caused the early September fire at the Fellows, Helfenbein and Newnam Funeral Home in Chestertown. Damage was estimated at $75,000. The early-morning blaze started in the stairway leading to a second-floor apartment. The woman living there managed to get out safely after a friend called her and told her to get out. The fire marshal’s office says the sprinkler system was a big factor in keeping damages down.

Comments