At Kiddie Academy of Kent Island, Earth Day, celebrated this year on April 22, is more than a global campaign to raise awareness about protecting the environment.
Earth Day is also an opportunity to reinforce the importance of values such as respect, sharing, kindness, and manners – all aspects of good citizenship that are core to the education-based childcare provider’s curriculum.
“Our character education program includes, among other things, having respect for the environment we all share,” said Adie Carlyle, Franchiee Business Manager of Kiddie Academy of Kent Island. “That’s why we include ongoing environmental lessons in our curriculum and make eco-friendly activities an important part of our unique Life Essentials program. It’s never too early for kids to learn the values that will help them to develop into good citizens.”
To help Stevensville-area parents foster their children’s eco-education at home, Seiler offers the following ideas for Earth Day activities:
* Involve your children in finding ways to repurpose things you already own before you purchase new items.
* Ask your children to help you gather gently used items and donate them to charity organizations.
* Turn packaging items like cartons or plastic sleeves into new art projects – instead of sending them to a landfill.
* Sew an old pillowcase into a new tote bag; use it to replace plastic bags when you shop.
* Take a nature walk together and discuss what you see along the way – like the appearance of ponds or streams or the presence of litter.
* Walk – don’t drive – to the neighborhood playground.
* Re-use paper towel rolls cut into sections as seed starting pots – plant the entire thing when plant is established.
* Set up a recycling station in your home.
* Read books with an eco-friendly theme with your children.
“As you work these activities into your family schedule, be sure to explain to your children why these activities are important and how they are good for our planet,” said Carlyle. “It’s important to do more than talk to your children about being good citizens of the earth; you also need to be a ‘green’ role model. Children learn from the actions of those around them, and imitate the actions and the attitudes of the adults in their lives.”
For more Earth Day activity ideas, parents can visit Kiddie Academy’s new Eco-Friendly Crafts board on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/kiddieacademy/eco-friendly-craft-ideas/. For more information on Kiddie Academy of Kent Island, please call Adie Carlyle at 410-515-6046. For more information on Kiddie Academy, please visit www.kiddieacademy.com
About Kiddie Academy®
For more than 30 years, Kiddie Academy® has been a leader in education-based child care. The company serves families and their children ages 6 weeks to 12 years old, offering full time care, before-and after-school care and summer camp programs. Kiddie Academy’s proprietary Life Essentials® curriculum, supporting programs, methods, activities and techniques help prepare children for school and for life. Kiddie Academy is using the globally recognized AdvancED accreditationsystem, signifying its commitment to quality education and the highest standards in child care. For more information, visit www.kiddieacademy.com.