KENT SCHOOL PARTNERS WITH AREA BUSINESSES TO HOST CELEBRITY CHEF

Kent School was delighted to host PBS’s A Taste of History Chef Walter Staib and Kent County High School’s Culinary Arts Director, John Keller, at Mowbray Chapel for an evening benefiting Kent School’s Osprey Fund on Thursday, June 16. The event was the culmination of donations sold at Kent School’s spring auction held in April. The donors who partnered to make the special event happen were Chef Walter Staib, Patricia Kirby, proprietor of Mowbray Chapel which is a new event venue in Chestertown and Neyah White, proprietor of The Retriever Restaurant and Decoy Bottle Shop.

Chef Walter Staib, a prominent figure in the culinary world, often hosts lectures and participates in community events that sponsor educational and cultural programs for students to strengthen and sustain their understanding of American History. Staib’s show A Taste of History can be seen across the nation on PBS and streams on Amazon Prime and the Hungry Channel App on Apple TV, Peacock, Redbox TV and Roku devices. The show, which Staib created, hosts and executive produces, explores unique and unknown stories behind humanity’s diverse and specular food culture.

Chef Staib was assisted by John Keller, culinary master, who has been cooking professionally for many years. He worked as a chef at several renowned restaurants including The Boar’s Head Inn, The Inn at Perry Cabin, Restaurant Nora, and at restaurants in France and Italy. In addition to his work as Culinary Arts Director at Kent County High School, John also teaches culinary courses at Chesapeake College.
Mowbray Chapel, a simple and elegant brick structure located at the end of Quaker Neck Road, is steeped in history and character. Built in the 1860’s as a chapel and gathering space for the surrounding families and farms, and marred by fire in 1889, it was rebuilt a year later. By 1963, Mowbray had been abandoned and fallen into disastrous condition. Today it has been restored to a new life. Historic brick walls, immense windows and 3.2 acres overlooking fields and trees, provide the perfect setting for all types of events.
Kent School was excited to bring together these exciting people, in this unique setting, for a five-course meal with wine pairings designed and donated by Neyah White, proprietor of The Retriever Restaurant and The Decoy Bottle Shop. Menu options included Martha Washington’s Pinot Noir Braised Turkey and Mushroom Toast inspired by Thomas Jefferson. Proceeds for this delectable gathering go towards supporting Kent School’s Osprey Fund. As a non-profit, independent school, Kent School’s tuition covers only 90% of the cost of educating students. The Osprey Fund, Kent School’s annual fund, helps to cover the remaining 10% gap. Kent School is incredibly grateful to Chef Staib, John Keller, Patricia Kirby, Neyah White, Elizabeth Staib-King and our auction dinner winners for their support.
For more information about the event space Mowbray Chapel visit www.mowbraychapel.com or The Retriever and Decoy Bottle Shop visit www.theretrieverbar.com or A Taste of History visit www.atasteofhistory.org
Kent School, located on the bank of the Chester River in historic Chestertown is an independent school serving boys and girls in Preschool through Grade Eight. Kent School’s mission is to guide our students in realizing their potential for academic, artistic, athletic, and moral excellence while fostering the growth of honorable, responsible citizens for our country and our diverse world. For more information visit www.kentschool.org or email info@kentschool.org.

 

Comments