Plein Air–Easton! celebrates its sixth anniversary by continuing the vibrant dynamic that has made it the nation’s premier plein air festival and one of Easton’s main attractions. Artists, collectors, and art lovers alike have discovered that Plein Air–Easton! lives up to its motto of “Art for Everyone” by producing some of the best representational artwork in the country, along with free events that appeal to a wide variety of art enthusiasts.
Festival highlights . . .
• Collectors’ Preview Party, July 23 at 7pm, offers the first chance to view and purchase competition paintings. More than $16,000 in prizes will be awarded. The full $150 ticket price may be applied to any Plein Air–Easton! art purchase at the Academy Art Museum on July 23, 24, and 25, or at the Winners’ Paint-Out & Brunch on Sunday, July 25.
• Plein Air–Easton! Competition Gallery Exhibit & Sale, July 24 and 25. Sales promise to be brisk, but there will be no bare walls here! As paintings sell, replacements will take their places, so that this exciting exhibit evolves throughout the weekend. Stop by several times to see and purchase new artwork. Free and open to the public.
• National Quick Draw, Exhibit and Sale, Saturday, July 24, 10am-2pm. Long on excitement, short on time, this two hour paint-out, followed by Exhibit and Sale, is one of Plein Air–Easton!’s most popular events as spectators and art buyers flock to downtown Easton to watch more than 150 artists paint within a six-block area, creating entire paintings in just two hours. Open to any artist; registration information at www.pleinaireaston.com.
• Children’s Quick Draw, July 24 10am-12pm, on the Academy Art Museum lawn, free to young artists, ages 5-12. Supplies and basic instruction provided. Space is limited; pre-registered is recommended. To register call Jeanne Saulsbury at 410.634.2360 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Quick Draw: The Next Generation, a brand new painting competition for emerging artists age 21 and younger. The event takes place Sunday, July 25, and consists of a four-hour paint-out and subsequent exhibit and sale. The paint-out will be from 10am-2pm, with an exhibit and sale on S. Harrison Street from 2-4pm. Cash prizes totaling almost $3,000 will be awarded. Registration information at www.pleinaireaston.com.
• Sunday Winners’ Paint Out, Brunch & Live Art Auction, July 25, open by special invitation to the members of the Friends of Plein Air–Easton! Information about joining this dedicated support organization is available at www.pleinaireaston.com.
More hot picks . . .
• Discover Local Talent: “Local Color” Exhibit and Sale, July 23-25. A juried and judged show featuring the works of 32 of our best local artists. Historic Tidewater Inn (Gold Room). Free
• Workshops, Demos, and More . . . Galore!: Thursday through Sunday, July 22-25, check out the extensive schedule at www.pleinaireaston.com. Free
• Bay Hundred Studio Tour: Visit artists as they work in their studios. Free
• Premier Film Screening: Thursday, July 22, 8pm, Historic Avalon Theatre, Maryland premier showing of The Rape of Europa (www.rapeofeuropa.com). Followed by Panel Discussion. Sponsored by Chesapeake Film Festival. Free
• Outstanding Operetta: July 23-25, Historic Avalon Theatre, Wye Operetta performs Gilbert and Sullivan’s popular show, Iolanthe, the fanciful tale of fairies and mere mortals. Free
• Focus on Photography: Enter the Plein Air–Easton! Photography Contest. Guidelines available at: www.pleinaireaston.com. Be sure to check out this year’s contest prizes and photography workshops.
• Strong Support: Friends of Plein Air–Easton! continues to ensure the success of its namesake event while celebrating and preserving local landscapes and strengthening the arts in our community. For information or to become a Friend, call 410.822.7297 or visit www.pleinaireaston.com.
Plein Air–Easton! is the work of the Avalon Foundation, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide diversified arts and educational programs that improve the quality of life in the Mid-Shore region. The Academy Art Museum provides an accredited museum venue for the competition exhibit.
The event is sponsored by Friends of Plein Air–Easton!, the Talbot County Arts Council, Maryland Public Television, corporate donors, and media sponsors. For full itinerary, artists’ information, ticket sales, and more, call 410.822.7297, email email@example.com or visit www.pleinaireaston.com.
During the festival week, obtain official festival information, programs, artist locations, and more at the Plein Air–Easton! Headquarters located at Coffee Cat, 5 Goldsborough St. in downtown Easton.
Latest information, including full itinerary, artists’ bios, ticket sales, galleries, and more is available at www.pleinaireaston.com. Regular updates are also posted on Facebook and Twitter. The Plein Air–Easton! Hotline can be reached at 410.822.7297.