Tag Archives: Historic Dilworth Map

Historic Dilworth Map Restored to Talbot Library

Gary-&-Bob-Johnson-(of-Lu-Ev,-who-framed-the-map)-with-Dilworth-MapHistoric Dilworth Map Restored to Talbot Library

One of the few surviving copies of William Dilworth’s famous 1858 map of Talbot County has undergone successful restoration and is now once again mounted and on display in the Easton branch of the Talbot County Free Library.  The Dilworth Map was the first map of Talbot County ever published and only the second map of a Maryland county ever published.  In the August 2013 edition of the “Tidewater Times,” James Dawson, owner of Unicorn Books and a member of the library’s Board of Trustees, called the map “an invaluable resource for historians and genealogists as it shows not only county topography, but locates churches, schools, mills, and hundreds of farms with the owners’ names as well.  Over 900 points of interest are named.”  At nearly four feet on a side, the map is large and easy to read.  Library director Robert Horvath invites the library’s patrons to come in and see if they can find their own property on the newly restored Dilworth Map and the name of the person who lived on it in 1858.

Contact: Bill Peak, telephone: 410-822-1626