Brix located at 337 High Street was shut down September 17 by Chestertown and Kent County Health Department officials for code violations. John Beskid, Director of Environmental Health, was called to the restaurant and noticed some plumbing issues. The grease trap, which all food establishments are required to have per town ordinance, had been bypassed and grease was being pumped directly into the town sewer resulting in a clog that caused sewage to back up into the basement.
After inspecting Brix, Beskid called Chestertown Utilities Manager Bob Sipes to take a look since the restaurant was in violation of a town ordinance. In addition to the grease trap, Sipes noticed that the plumbing was not up to code. The sewage plumbing was not glued together and fell apart while Sipes was standing there.