A February date is set for the murder trial of Leroy Wilson. He is charged with murdering Lindsey Crispino last April. Crispino was from Denton, and her body was found near a property outside Centreville. Wilson fled the area, supposedly in Crispino’s car, but was arrested after he crashed a sobriety checkpoint in Mississippi. State’s Attorney Lance Richardson says DNA evidence is crucial in this case and he has asked for as much time as possible.
The second of two men charged with a January 25 home invasion in Church Hill has pleaded guilty in circuit court. Nathan Montgomery Jr., 38 and formerly of Rock Hall, entered a guilty plea on October 4 to charges in connection with the invasion of a home on Lieby Road. Montgomery was charged with being an accomplice to Ade Yemi Scott, 41of Millington, who was found guilty of several charges in a September 12 bench trial. According to the Queen Anne’s County State’s Attorney’s office, the two barged into a home displaying handguns and demanding drugs and money. The residents, two adult females and an infant, could not comply, but prosecutors say Scott and Montgomery ransacked the home and took personal items before leaving. Both Scott and Montgomery, who fled the scene in a white Nissan Armada, were apprehended in Delaware with the help of Maryland State Police.
An office worker admitted to stealing thousands of dollars in cash from the Queen Anne’s County State’s Attorney’s Office, police say in charging papers. Melissa Ann Knotts, 34, of 112 Church Meadow Court, Chestertown, is charged with theft less than $1,000 and theft scheme between $1,000 and $10,000 in District Court for Queen Anne’s County. In a charging document, Detective Sgt. Bruce Layton of the Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office said the state’s attorney’s office began conducting an investigation into the theft from an office operating account after learning of a discrepancy in the account balance.
A Stevensville man has been charged with threatening to harm Queen Anne’s County’s top prosecutor. State’s Attorney Lance Richardson appeared earlier this month as a witness for the defense in a civil suit Charles Eisel filed against his neighbor. After a district court judge dismissed the suit, Richardson says Eisel threatened to punch him, saying he was retired and could spend six months in the detention center. Richardson says when he told Eisel that threatening a public official was a crime, Eisel redirected his threat toward Coburn and then back at Richardson. Eisel was charged with threatening a public official and released on his own recognizance. A preliminary inquiry in the case is scheduled for June 9 in district court.
There could be some changes coming to the sentence of 19-year-old William Clarke of Grasonville. You may remember he was convicted on 30 sex-related charges involving two girls ages 12 and 14. The judge working the case is a retired appeals court judge who agreed to sentence him to 90 years, all suspended, plus five years’ probation and sex offender treatment. He was not required to register as a sex offender. The QA State’s Attorney’s office is not happy about that. It will file papers asking another judge to make Clarke register as a lifetime sex offender.